Who, then, shall I fear?

I was concerned enough by a recent posting about Christian "witness" outside an abortion clinic, that I found myself asking, in the comments, whether such actions by Christians draw people closer to Christ or push them away. A pastor responded by asking me:

"Well what would Jesus do? Would He speak up for children being murdered by adults for money?"

Which led me to wonder, inasmuch as anyone can, what would Jesus do? I suspect he would first show the women how much he loved them. Else how would anyone expect them to believe he loved what they carried in their wombs? Wouldn't Jesus first show us, sinners all, that he loves us?

We're told "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Those witnesses weep, with genuine love and care, for the unborn who will never live in our world. But I weep, in my heart, for the born who may learn to stay as far away as they can from the God-who-hates, God-who-despises, God-who-rejects (he who was "despised and rejected" by those claiming to know God best).

Do we, by our witness, give God a false name? Do we thereby deprive our neighbors of life, not in this world, but in the world to come? I think we don't; I think God is big enough to save them without us. But if we do drive them away from him, would that make us, who call ourselves Christian, those who should most be feared?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connections

Easter Sunday Prayer

Holy Saturday Prayer